Friday, June 7, 2013

School's Out for Summer...

Too bad it doesn't feel like summer.

Yikes!  The last day of school was quite a day.  First of all, I always find myself a little on the emotional side the last day of school. It's just another significant day that reminds me how fast these little guys are growing up.  I now have a 4th grader and 2nd grader.  How did that happen?!?

1st Day of School 2012-13
Last Day of School 2012-13

1st Day of School 2012-13

Last Day of School 2012-13
I think the biggest change this year was in their teeth.  We lost a LOT of teeth this school year.  Their smiles have totally changed!!

In third grade, Tyler had to have his planner signed by a parent every night.  I would estimate that 70% of the time, I signed it in the morning instead of at night.  I told Tyler it would be a great accomplishment if on the last day of school, we had his planner signed the night before.  Guess what!!  We failed.  :(  A little photo reminder of the ol' planner!!


And then for the real fun!  Our plans were to have some friends over after school to celebrate summer.  I threw a really fun "Welcome to Summer Party" last year and was hoping for a repeat performance.  Unfortunately, the weather wasn't on my side this year... not to mention I simply ran out of time to plan.  So, the kids were going to walk home from school with friends and we were just going to hang out.  About a half  hour before school got out, it started raining.  Not sprinkling.  Not spring showers.  Cats and Dogs raining.  So, I decided to drive over to get the kids - and to leave early as I was anticipating a nightmare in the parking lot with LOTS of parents picking up kids on the last day of school.

As I pulled up to the school, the storm sirens start going off.  Because these have always been "tornado" sirens to me, panic instantly set in.  I pulled into the parking lot and the school alarms started to go off.  I sat in my car and didn't know what to do.  Then I realized I was an ADULT and I needed to go inside!  LOL.  Amazing how you freeze sometimes.  So I ran inside in the downpour - tried to go down the hallway to AJ's classroom.  (I was hoping to let a friend in the side door so she didn't have to run to the front.)  As I got to his hallway, I found a LOCKED hallway door.  I've never seen these doors closed, let alone locked.  So, I turn around and head for a hallway that will take me to Tyler's hallway.  Luckily, I was able to get to the third grade pod.  I instantly saw his teacher who waived me over.  His whole class was huddled as you do for a tornado drill.  She showed me where Ty was so I went over and rubbed his back.  When he looked up his eyes were red and I could tell he, too, was scared... but a little relieved that I was there.

This story could go on for much longer but I know I won't forget it.  Basically, I couldn't get to AJ because he was in PE which made me stress more.  I tried to stay calm but was so glad when we got the "all clear".... which happened 40 minutes(ish) after school SHOULD have been out.  Tyler and I headed to AJ's class as soon as we were "dismissed" and I hugged the heck out of him.  Then we went to find the friends that the boys should have walked home with. Then, of course, we couldn't get out of the parking lot because everyone was trying to leave.  What a relief it was to get home!

As the adults shared stories about the day, we had the kids demonstrate what they did at the end of the 2012-13 school year!  A last day of school that we will NOT soon forget!!


How was the last day of school you ask?  CrAZy!!



1 comment: